torsdag 21 februari 2008

Go spontaneous!

Stockholm occupies the last place on Earth in rankings cities famous for spontaneous ways of spending time (if such ranking exists, which I doubt). You book and register to everything, which was already noticed by my friend PK, who on our way back from Sweden to Poland, confused after 6 months of scheduled activities asked a waiter on the Polish boat if we needed to register for the dinner (we didn't).

I miss spontaneous evenings out, I would like to not be stressed about not being able to find a place to eat on a Saturday night. I missed not being invited to home parties 3 months in advance. Most of all, I miss spontaneous afternoons in the movies.

Yesterday I booked tickets for Friday night and after logging on to www.sf.se, the damn cinematic monopolist of Sweden, I noticed that half of places in the venue were already booked. Luckily we like to sit quite close, ignoring the painful necks we sink into the sceen, so finding good places was not a problem. Appearantely, seats we consider great are the worst ones! We have to pick the tickets up an hour before the film starts, though, which creates another source of stress and anger.

I guess that suggesting a national action called "I don't book. Go spontaneous, Stockholm!" would be only picked up by immigrants, the schedulless scum of the city, planless ignorants. I would truely love that.

ps. We are going to see "Sweeney Todd", I cannot wait to sink into the brain of Tim Burton again.

1 kommentar:

Ulli sa...

Isn't it the case that more than 20 percent of the population of Stockholm either are immigrants or have (parental) immigrant roots? Maybe the initiative "I don't book. Go spontaneous, Stockholm!" would be an immediate success! I would certainly join this group. However, maybe Swedish integration isn't that bad as it's often stated and people act more "Swedish" than one could hope...